Home and Community Based Services Waiver Programs
What is an HCBS Waiver?
A waiver is a program that provides services that allow individuals to remain in their own homes or live in a community setting, instead of in an institution. Illinois has nine HCBS waivers. Each waiver is designed for individuals with similar needs and offers a different set of services.
Who is eligible for a HCBS Waiver?
- Individuals must be U.S. citizens or legal aliens and residents of the state of Illinois;
- Individuals must meet Medicaid financial eligibility criteria as specified in each waiver;
- Individuals must require an institutional level of care as specified in each waiver;
- Individuals' service needs must be able to be provided in the waiver at a cost equal to or less than the cost for institutional care; and
- Individuals must meet any other requirements, such as age or diagnosis requirements, specific to the waiver program.
Current HCBS Waivers
The State currently operates the nine HCBS Waiver Programs listed below.
Children and Young Adults with Developmental Disabilities-Support Waiver
Children and Young Adults with Developmental Disabilities-Residential Waiver
People who are Medically Fragile, Technology Dependent
Persons with Disabilities
Persons with Brain Injuries (BI)
Adults with Developmental Disabilities
Persons who are Elderly
Persons with HIV or AIDS
Supportive Living Program
New Federal Home and Community Based Services Final Rules and Plans for Compliance in all Illinois 1915 (c) Waivers
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued new rules related to home and community based settings. Information regarding Illinois’ efforts to comply with those CMS rules, and a copy of Illinois’ Statewide Transition Plan, can be found at the following link:
Public Comment Notice
- 11/01/2021 Illinois ARP HCBS Enhanced FMAP Spending Plan and Spending Narrative - Response to Request for Additional Information and Quarterly Spending Plan Report (pdf)
- 07/12/2021 Illinois APR HCBS Enhanced FMAP Initial Spending Plan and Narrative
- 05/25/2021 Implementation of American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 Section 9817: Additional Support for Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services during the COVID-19 Emergency (pdf) Comment Period Extended through June 18, 2021