Skip to main content

Enrollment in the Health Benefits for Immigrant Adults (HBIA) program will be temporarily paused effective July 1, 2023.

Enrollment in the Health Benefits for Immigrant Seniors (HBIS) program will be temporarily paused effective Nov. 6, 2023.

Behavioral Health Home

Welcome to Healthcare and Family Services’ Behavioral Health Resources Web Page. This site contains information related to Behavioral Health services available under the Illinois Medical Assistance Program, as well as information regarding Behavioral Health programs for children and youth in the State of Illinois. Behavioral Health services cover both mental health and substance use recovery services.

If you are eligible for Medicaid services or are enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Plan, and you are looking for mental health or substance use recovery services, you can use the resources below to find a provider or appropriate programs or services:  

· The Service Provider Identification & Exploration Resource Database allows users to search a specific area in the state for different types of agencies and services and can be accessed here:

o     SPIDER Database:

· HFS has established Designated Service Area Providers for Mobile Crisis Response who can offer immediate assistance if some is having crisis. The list of agencies can be accessed here:


·  You can call your Managed Care Plan directly to find out which providers are covered. Managed Care Plan contact information can be found at the following link in the navigation menu under “Contact Information for Health Plans”:


·  Talk to your child’s pediatrician or primary care provider for a referral to a provider that accepts your insurance for mental health services, or

· Talk to your child’s school social worker about any potential options or services available through the school or by referral.

If you have private insurance:

· Contact your insurance provider for mental health professionals who accept your insurance for treatment

· If your child has had three (3) mental health psychiatric hospitalizations in the last year or has been diagnosed with a severe emotional disturbance, you may consider applying for the Family Support Program (FSP). See this page for more information:

If your child is experiencing a mental health crisis or you have concerns for their immediate safety, that they may harm themselves or worry that they may require inpatient psychiatric treatment, please contact the CARES line at 1-800-345-9049 to access mobile crisis response services. Services are available 24/7, 365 days a year.

Call or text 988 to be connected with a trained, compassionate crisis counselor who can help you navigate difficult times. 988 is a confidential lifeline and available 24/7. If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide or facing a mental health or substance use crisis, help is just a call or text away. 

If you have general questions about mental health or substance use issues, you can access additional information from the Substance Use and Mental Health Services Administration at SAMHSA - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration