Medical Card Customer Brochure
Using your Medical Card
You are receiving a State of Illinois Medical Card.
What is the Medical Card?
The Medical Card is issued once to people who are enrolled for medical benefits. Show the paper card whenever you have a healthcare appointment.
- No more monthly cards. Keep your new Medical Card! Do not throw this Medical Card away.
How do I use my Medical Card?
- Take your Medical Card and a picture ID to any healthcare appointment. Your provider will use it to find out what services you are eligible for.
- Do not throw your paper Medical Card away. Even if your medical benefits end, keep the Medical Card. You can use it again if you become eligible in the future.
- If you have a spenddown keep your Medical Card to use when spenddown is met.
- For questions about your medical coverage and/or if you believe a member of your household is eligible for services but did not receive a card, call DHS 1-800-843-6154 or HFS 1-800-226-0768 (TTY 1-877-204-1012).
- If you have a LINK Card, keep it, you will continue to use it for your cash and SNAP benefits.
- If you are a DCFS client call 1-800-228-6533.
What happens if I forget to take the card to my appointment?
If you forget your Medical Card, you can still receive healthcare services. Give your Medical Card number or any two of the following to your provider.
Social Security Number
Date of Birth
To check your eligibility using the 24 hour automated system, call 1-855-828-4995
What if I am in a managed care plan?
You will receive a new Medical Card and may receive a separate card from your health plan.
- Bring both cards to your appointment.
- Be sure to stay up to date about your enrollment by reading any information sent to you by your health plan.
- If you have questions about your enrollment in your health plan, you can call the toll-free number printed on the back of your health plan card.
What do I do if my Medical Card is lost or stolen?
- Call DHS 1-800-843-6154 or HFS 1-800-226-0768 (TTY 1-877-204-1012) to request a replacement card. In the meantime, you still can receive healthcare services. Always take your picture ID with you.
- There is no charge for a replacement card.
- Your replacement Medical Card will be mailed to you.
Be sure to keep your caseworker up to date about any changes, such as address or current phone number. It is important that your caseworker and your healthcare provider have the most current information.
Front of Medical Card
The Medical Card contains the name; the Medical Card ID number and the date of birth for each who is enrolled. Always keep this card in a safe place and never allow someone else to use the card.
Back of Medical Card
- Call the toll-free number, 1-855-828-4995, if your card is lost or stolen, or if you have questions related to your coverage.
Using the 855 number on the back of your Medical Card
- Verify you are currently eligible for medical benefits through an automated voice response system
- Other questions about your medical coverage