Family Planning & Birth Control
Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS) is committed to increasing access to high quality, evidence-based family planning services for women and men in the Medicaid Program by providing comprehensive and continuous coverage to ensure that every pregnancy is a planned pregnancy.
HFS supports everyone’s right to make informed and voluntary decisions about sexuality and reproduction in order to lead a fulfilling and healthy life. Planned pregnancies allow women to optimize their own health before pregnancy and childbirth; consequently decreasing health complications and lowering newborn risks such as low birth weight and preterm birth. This in turn improves the health for the family, expands opportunities and benefits the community.
Illinois Family Planning Program
The Illinois Family Planning program offers coverage for reproductive health and related services to men and women who do not otherwise qualify for Medicaid. Information about eligibility, coverage and other details will be available soon.
Check back later for more information on whether this program might be available to you and how to apply.
Eligible individuals can receive family planning and related services including:
- An annual exam
- Family planning counseling
- All FDA-approved methods of contraception
- Permanent methods of birth control (tubal ligation or vasectomy)
- Basic infertility counseling
Also covered is cervical cancer screening and treatment, screening mammograms, BRCA genetic counseling and testing, as applicable, and other testing, treatment, and vaccines for reproductive health. Transportation for family planning visits is also covered.
Providers interested in the program should visit the MPE and FPPE Provider page, which includes training materials.
Other Family Planning Resources
- 06-30-15: Hospital Billing and Reimbursement for Immediate Postpartum Long-Acting Reversible Contraceptives Effective July 1, 2015
- 11-10-14: Amended Important Family Planning Policy Change and Payment Increases- Updated from 10/10/14
- 10-10-14: Important Family Planning Policy Change and Payment Increases October 10, 2014
- 08-20-14: Our Medicaid Commitment to Family Planning Illinois Contraceptive Equity Summit Julie Hamos, Director
- 06-26-14: Family planning and Reproductive Health Services Informational Notice