Provider Notice Issued 04/14/2020
Date: April 14, 2020
To: Long Term Care Facilities - Nursing Facilities (NF), Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID), Supportive Living Program (SLP), and provisionally licensed Specialized Mental Health Rehabilitation Facilities (SMHRF)
Re: Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act for Long Term Care Residents and Pandemic Unemployment Compensation
This Notice informs Long Term Care (LTC) providers of provisions of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (referred to as the “CARES Act”).
The CARES Act provides a refundable tax credit for 2020 to eligible individuals. The Internal Revenue Service will provide payments in 2020 as an advance refund of credit to eligible individuals. These payments are called “Recovery Rebates”.
· These payments are not counted as income when determining Medicaid eligibility
· These payments are not counted as a resource for 12 months following receipt when determining Medicaid eligibility. However, any amount remaining after 12 months will be considered a resource and counted towards the maximum resource allowance.
· These payments are not reportable to the Department of Human Services
· These payments do not require an income change transaction in MEDI
· These payments are not to be collected by LTC providers to be applied towards the resident’s “group care credit”
· These payments are the resident’s personal funds
· For residents that have a personal fund account managed by the LTC provider, refer to DHS Policy Manual 20-08-11-c
The “CARES Act” also provides that certain individuals collecting unemployment benefits may be eligible to receive an additional $600 as “Pandemic Unemployment Compensation” per week for weeks of unemployment ending on or before July 31, 2020. The monthly equivalent of $2580 in Pandemic Unemployment Compensation will be disregarded when determining countable income for the purpose of Medicaid eligibility.
If you have questions, contact the Bureau of Long Term Care toll free at 844-528-8444
Interim Medicaid Administrator